Wednesday, April 9
Don't miss out on these in-depth workshops before the main conference! Learn everything about how to pitch for TV, measure social media outreach and use brand journalism for PR.
9:30 a.m.-11:30 a.m.
Break into TV and digital video: 10 ways to get TV and digital video producers to listen to your pitches (and 10 ways to get them to ignore you)
You've crafted a pithy email to that morning show producer you've talked to on the phone once or twice, referenced a "funny" joke you told her and even included pictures of your new product in your email. This thing's a lock to go on-air, you think as you hit send.
Cue radio silence.
The truth is hard to take, but repeat this aloud: My pitch sucks and I need to fix it. In this two-hour pre-conference session from Justin Allen, co-creator, executive producer and showrunner of Eye Opener, Tribune Broadcasting's syndicated morning show, you'll learn how to get creative and stand out from the countless other pitches producers receive, why getting your pitch in digital video segments can be far more effective than traditional broadcast TV and the fastest ways to get your emails and calls ignored.
Topics will include:
- The Video Pitch: why a short email with a link to a YouTube video pitching your product or company is better than your wittiest text-heavy email
- Target Digital: Why Digital Video outlets must be at the top of your pitch list How to break into these Digital Video outlets
- Create meaningful b-roll: How to think like a video producer and control every element of the story they need
- Compete with pre-paid sponsorships: How to make it to air with your pitch in a sea of (gasp!) paid advertorials disguised as feature segments
- Create an online video newsroom: It's simple and you probably already have every resource you need in-house
|Justin Allen is the co-creator, executive producer and showrunner of Eye Opener, a live, nationally syndicated morning news, comedy and variety show for Tribune Broadcasting.
11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
Lunch on your own
12:30 p.m.-2:30 p.m.
Social media ROI:
Measure the bottom-line impact of your social media
Sir William Thompson Kelvin famously said, "To measure is to know." How do you know your social media work? Creating an engaging communication strategy is difficult enough—who has time to install an effective measurement strategy? Never fear. Measuring your communications efforts is not only easy, it's also affordable.
In this hands-on workshop, you'll learn:
- Why measurement is important
- Why you should measure NOW (or your successor WILL do it!)
- How social media differs from other communication
- The best way to measure social media
- The difference between success measurements and true ROI (how you measure both)
- How to use results to gain momentum, impress bosses and celebrate your successes
|Chris Boyer is the AVP of Digital Strategy for North Shore-LIJ Health System in New York.
3 p.m.-5 p.m.
Brand journalism is the new PR:
The role of the PR pro in the age of brand journalism and content marketing
Today is the most exciting time EVER for PR and media relations professionals. Everywhere you look, content is king. And those who publish compelling, riveting content will not only survive, they will stand at the center of their organization's plans and dreams. Five years ago, Publisher and CEO Mark Ragan launched PR Daily using the strategies and tactics he'll outline in today's keynote presentation. Today PR Daily is three times larger than its nearest competitor, boasting 1.2 million monthly visitors from around the globe.
In this keynote session, CEO Mark Ragan shares lessons that can be applied to any business in any niche.
- How news and content have changed forever; what you must do to adapt
- Rules for grabbing and keeping the interest of readers in the Age of Commun-itainment
- How social media and content are inextricably linked—why you can't have one without the other
- Why headlines and teasers are more important than ever in the Twitter age
- The role 'content curation' plays in your brand journalism and content marketing strategy
- Why it's impossible to produce great content without great measurement
|Mark Ragan is CEO of Ragan Communications.